Cinderford & District Swimming Club is a competitive swimming club. Our swimmers are encouraged to enter friendly galas as soon as they are able. By the time they reach the Development Squad, swimmers are expected to take part in galas, open meets, Counties, Regional and National competitions (when they achieve the required times).
Competitions provide a great deal of fun and enjoyment and are keenly anticipated by the swimmers. The different types of competition which the Club takes part in are:
- Club Championships This is an annual competition for all our swimmers, whatever age or ability, held towards the end of the year and followed by a presentation evening attended by all the swimmers and their families.
- Four Seasons Galas: These are friendly galas between Gloucester, Hereford, Tewkesbury, Lydney and ourselves for novice swimmers aged 12 and under.
- Cotswold League We enter a team in the Cotswold League between January and May, There are 20 teams in total and we compete in 4 rounds and a final.
- Time Trials: These are in-house galas run at our own pool where swimmers are timed in particular events, they are especially useful when a swimmer has not swam an event before or have not swam it for a while.
- Open Meets: These are for entry on an individual basis by the swimmers. They are usually subject to qualifying times in order that the Meet organizers can manage the level of competition, and entry should be in consultation with the swimmers coach. The club selects these galas for club swimmers to enter as part of the training programme. Cinderford also run their own annual Open Meet called “BCLSC” at GL1 towards the end of the year in conjunction with two other local Clubs.
- Gloucester Counties and South West Region Competitions. These are annual competitions; they also act as part of the selection process for County swimming teams. Entry in these events is subject to swimmers achieving qualifying times.
Swimmers should bring the following in their swimming bag to galas:
- 2 pair of goggles (in case one pair breaks or gets lost)
- Cinderford swim club shirt (or blue one if not got one)
- Cinderford swimming club hat
- Poolside shoes – flip flops or similar (optional)
- 2 towels
- Plenty to drink – squash, juice or water (nothing fizzy)
- Snacks – bananas, dried fruit, bakery goods, cereal bars (you may want to bring a packed lunch)
- Something to occupy yourself with (book, game etc)
- Tracksuit/shorts (optional)
Please remember all belongings are the swimmers responsibility so please do not bring anything valuable